A simple guide to learning about security vulnerabilities and protection of your WordPress website from intruders using Hide My WP lite
WordPress is a well-known CMS used by 39.5% of all sites on the web. But the popularity gain increases the chances of an attack on these sites. About 70% of the sites have shown security vulnerabilities that allow hackers to sneak into your website.
While you may try manual ways to protect your sites from intruders, the protection can still be incomplete. WordPress security plugins come in handy regarding this. We have many WordPress login security plugins available but ‘Hide My WP’ is considered the best and the most trusted plugin to hide WordPress login
Do you want to learn how to protect your WordPress using Hide My WP Lite plugin? This article walks you through some easy steps to hide WordPress login.
Why do we need to protect your WordPress?
WordPress users work very hard on their websites and security vulnerabilities are a bane to them. WordPress security issues are an opening for a hacker to trespass your website easily.
An unknown person having access to your website is as bad as it sounds. Most hackers violate websites not just for some personal gain but because they can. No hacker can resist an opening to a website, more the reason why we need to secure our websites completely.
A hacker can also benefit by intruding on your website by using it to infect your visitors’ devices with malware to gain their information or by getting paid to redirect the visitors from your page to someone else’s. This will have a huge impact on your website by reducing the traffic to it. Thus, it is crucial to decrease the security vulnerabilities of your WordPress.
A brief description of the possible ways which allow a hacker to access your website
To solve a problem, we need to understand the root of it clearly. We have many security vulnerabilities known to us. The below points are the detailed explanations of them:
- Outdated core software: WordPress releases updates regularly to improve the performance and the security of your website. But if you fail to download these updates, your website is more exposed to hackers than ever.
- Unauthentic login attempts: This is more of a brute force attack a hacker uses to gain access to your website by trying out various login credentials for your WordPress with the help of bots. So it is recommended to use unpredictable passwords. Security plugins like ‘Hide My WP Lite’ that will hide WordPress login stop unauthorized login attempts, which are discussed in detail further in the article.
- Outdated themes and plugins: Just like outdated core software, outdated plugins and themes prove to create openings for a hacker to violate. Hence, we should download the updates which improve the security of your plugins and themes.
- SQL injections: SQL is the preferred language of WordPress. A hacker can inject code to your website through form submissions or anything similar by pretending to be a visitor of your site.
- Supply chain attacks: One can buy a popular plugin or theme and add a new code to it as an update, which creates a window for them to enter the website. This kind of attack is hard to prevent. But the WordPress developers constantly work towards finding these fake plugins and themes and eradicate them.
Why do you need to hide your WordPress login?
Hackers use the security vulnerabilities of your WordPress to enter your website forcefully. Of which, brute force attack is the most common. The hackers use bots to try a series of usernames and passwords to get access to your website. A simple solution to stop this kind of attack is to hide WordPress login that is possible by using the ‘Hide My WP Lite’ plugin. It is not only beneficial but also very simple to use.
This WordPress login security plugin comes in a lite version which is available for free to everyone. It hides the common login path that every WordPress user operates with. It creates a new login URL path for your WordPress.
How to use Hide My WP Lite to hide your WordPress login?
The default login path known to us is also known to the hackers, hence we must either change the login path or use a specific key to hide the WordPress login. The method you choose depends on your convenience.
The following points will walk you through the steps for enabling the Hide My WP Lite plugin to hide WordPress login:
- Install the Hide My WP Lite from the plugins section positioned on the right side of your WordPress
- Activate the plugin
- Select on settings which will direct you to the ‘Hide My WP Login Settings’ page
- If you prefer to change the path of your login page, create your custom Login URL using the option provided in the settings.
- If you would rather have your login page protected by using a specific key, add a key of your liking in the space provided in the ‘Login specific key’ option of the settings.
- Click on ‘save settings’ to confirm the changes you have made to hide WordPress login page.
- Make sure to remember the new login path or note down the new login URL somewhere safe for further use.
We know that positive and negative coexist and WordPress is no exception to it. While WordPress is very useful to everyone, it has got issues too but they can be easily resolved by using advanced WordPress login protection like the ‘Hide My WP Lite’ plugin to hide WordPress login.
There are different kinds of security vulnerabilities and it is crucial to get rid of all of them. Even a single security issue is like a blessing to someone trying to get access to your site.
We have the ‘Hide My WP’ security plugin to tackle these issues. This premium plugin can do the following to secure your WordPress:
- Hide WordPress login
- Firewall protection against SQL Injections, CSRF, XSS, brute force using trust network to secure the site
- Attack protection
- Autoblock attackers while also provide you with the information regarding who is trying to hack your WordPress
For all our WordPress users who are looking for ways to protect their websites, Hide My WP Lite is the best plugin you can find.